Today’s Weather Synopsis…
After a cold start to the day, clouds will continue to thicken this morning with a southerly flow developing as an area of low pressure and associated warm front begins to approach. Some light snow will arrive into this afternoon from southwest to northeast, continuing into tonight with a Winter Weather Advisory in effect for areas surrounding the Capital Region where 3 to 6 inches may accumulate. Outside the advisory area, a light accumulation of 1 to 3 inches is expected due to downsloping lowering snow totals. Snow will taper off into early Monday morning, with breaks of sun and gusty winds developing in the afternoon as low pressure tracks off the New England coast.
Another area of high pressure will quickly move across the region into Monday night and early Tuesday with cold temperatures expected, before a storm system approaches late Tuesday that will bring a burst of snow initially, changing to a wintry mix of snow, sleet, and freezing rain into Wednesday morning. A gusty northwest flow will settle back into the region as a cold front moves through and precipitation ends on Wednesday.
The Capital Region forecast for the next 48 hours…
• This Morning: Mostly cloudy and very cold.
Temperatures: 9° to 13°
• This Afternoon: Cloudy with snow likely. Snow accumulations less than 1 inch.
Temperatures: 24° to 28°
Winds: South 5-10 mph.
• Tonight: Cloudy with periods of snow likely. Snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches.
Temperatures: 20 to 24°
Winds: South 5-10 mph, becoming West.
• Monday: Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow showers in the morning, then becoming breezy with intervals of clouds and some sunshine developing in the afternoon.
Temperatures: 29° to 33°
Winds: West 15-20, gusting up to 30 mph.
• Monday Night: Mostly clear and cold.
Temperatures: 5° to 9°
Winds: Northwest 10-15 mph.
A look ahead…
• Tuesday: Increasing clouds with a chance of snow in the afternoon.
Temperatures: 25° to 29°
• Wednesday: Cloudy with a chance of snow, sleet, and freezing rain in the morning, then a chance of rain showers and drizzle in the afternoon.
Temperatures: 39° to 43°
• Thursday: Mostly cloudy, breezy, and colder.
Temperatures: 23° to 27°
Upstate NY Weather recommends that you heed all watches, warnings, and advisories from the National Weather Service as weather conditions can become life threatening with little or no advanced notice.
|Live Radar Loop|