Today’s Weather Synopsis…
Another fairly cloudy, damp and dreary day is expected across the region with some patchy fog this morning as plenty of low level moisture remains trapped. Temperatures will remain mild with high temperatures into the 40’s this afternoon, so not as warm as yesterday but still above average for mid-January.
An upper level low will begin to approach from the Tennessee Valley on Sunday as a coastal low pressure system emerges off the mid-Atlantic coast bringing widespread precipitation late Sunday into Monday. This system looks to begin as rain initially with temperatures remaining mild, but could eventually change to snow or a wintry mix in some areas as colder air is drawn southward later tonight and again on Monday from a backdoor cold front, with the greatest chances for any snow accumulations in the higher terrain to the north and west of the Capital Region. Regardless, this slow-moving system looks to bring a significant amount of precipitation to the region and likely as a potpourri of precipitation types depending on location and winter weather headlines may be issued later today. The storm will finally begin to exit on Tuesday night with improving conditions into Wednesday with another brief period of dry weather before a cold front arrives on Thursday with a mixture of rain and snow showers.
The Capital Region forecast for the next 48 hours…
• This Morning: Patchy fog early, otherwise mostly cloudy with a slight chance of light rain or drizzle.
Temperatures: 39° to 43°
Winds: North 5 mph.
• This Afternoon: Mostly cloudy and mild with a slight chance of light rain or drizzle.
High temperature: 43° to 47°
Winds: Northeast 5-10 mph.
• Tonight: Cloudy with a slight chance of rain showers in the evening, then a chance of rain and snow showers after midnight.
Low temperature: 31° to 35°
Winds: East 5-10 mph.
• Monday: Cloudy and becoming breezy with periods of rain likely in the afternoon, possibly mixing with snow at times late.
High temperatures: 36° to 40°
Winds: East 10-15 mph, gusting up to 30 mph.
• Monday Night: Cloudy and breezy with periods of rain and snow likely, becoming all snow by daybreak.
Low temperature: 30° to 34°
Winds: Northeast 15-20 mph, gusting up to 30 mph.
A look ahead…
• Tuesday: Cloudy with periods of snow, sleet and rain likely in the morning, then periods of rain likely, possibly mixing with snow late.
High temperatures: 35° to 39°
Winds: North 10-15 mph.
• Wednesday: Partly sunny.
High temperature: 39° to 43°
Winds: Southwest 5-10 mph.
• Thursday: Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain and snow showers in the morning, then becoming partly sunny in the afternoon.
High temperatures: 40° to 44°
Winds: Southwest 10-15 mph.
Upstate NY Weather recommends that you heed all watches, warnings, and advisories from the National Weather Service as weather conditions can become life threatening with little or no advanced notice.
Follow our live Twitter feed here for the latest weather updates…