Today’s Weather Synopsis…
An area of high pressure will continue to build across the region and eventually offshore today with some breaks of sunshine expected and continued mild temperatures, but clouds will be on the increase later in the day as a weakening disturbance approaches. This disturbance will then impact the region tonight into early Saturday with some rain showers possible, but coverage will tend to decrease as the system moves into a drier air mass. If enough cold air lingers in northern areas, some mixed precipitation is possible into tonight before ending as some drizzle by daybreak Saturday.
Drier and mild weather will gradually return on Saturday with some sun, but it will not last long. An upper level low will begin to approach from the Tennessee Valley on Sunday bringing the next chance of precipitation late Sunday into Monday. This system looks to bring rain initially to the region as temperatures remain mild, but could eventually change to snow or a wintry mix in some areas as colder air is drawn southward. The potential for some freezing rain will also have to be monitored before the column completely cools, with the greatest chances for any snow accumulations in the higher terrain. Regardless, this slow-moving system looks to bring a significant amount of precipitation to the region and possibly as a potpourri of precipitation types, so it would be wise to stay tuned to the latest forecasts.
The Capital Region forecast for the next 48 hours…
• This Morning: Mostly cloudy with patchy fog early, otherwise becoming partly sunny.
Temperatures: 33° to 37°
• This Afternoon: Becoming mostly cloudy with a slight chance of rain showers late.
High temperature: 41° to 45°
Winds: Southeast 5-10 mph.
• Tonight: Cloudy with a chance of rain showers.
Low temperature: 34° to 38°
Winds: South 5-10 mph.
• Saturday: Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of rain showers or drizzle in the morning, then becoming partly sunny and milder in the afternoon.
High temperatures: 46° to 50°
Winds: South 5-10 mph.
• Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy.
Low temperature: 35° to 39°
Winds: Northwest 5 mph.
A look ahead…
• Sunday: Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of rain showers in the afternoon.
High temperature: 43° to 47°
Winds: Northeast 5-10 mph.
• Monday: Cloudy with periods of rain and snow likely.
High temperatures: 34° to 38°
Winds: Northeast 10-15 mph.
• Tuesday: Cloudy with periods of rain, snow and sleet likely.
High temperatures: 35° to 39°
Winds: Northwest 10-15 mph.
Upstate NY Weather recommends that you heed all watches, warnings, and advisories from the National Weather Service as weather conditions can become life threatening with little or no advanced notice.
Follow our live Twitter feed here for the latest weather updates…